Alternatives to ONE

Steve G

I have been a user of ONE for about 2-3 years and use it mainly to simply track and have open P&L diagrams on 20-30 open trades mainly in RUT and SPX. I generally launch a trade like a 30-45 day out BWB and then make adjustments as the trade progresses and I like that it keeps track of my closed and open P&L and shows me a P&L diagram of the whole of the trade from it's inception.

I have run ONE on a MacBook with an i9 intel processor and running parallels and it has done fine. That said, I just bought a new M1 MacBook and installed Parallels on it, but it seems ONE is not installing and the team at ONE basically says I am trying to install it in an unsupported environment - so I am on my own.

While I like ONE for what it does, I have felt for years that there should be some similar type of program out there that would be cloud based and platform agnostic at this point, but have not found it - does anyone have any ideas? I have looked at OptionVue, but it also seems very "dated". Wingman did not seem to have the P&L Diagram aspects that I like so much in ONE and OptionStat looks GREAT on the surface, but it stops short of actually doing any trade tracking or adjustments of trades - so ANY thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Finally - if there are any techies out there that might have a workaround for installing ONE on Parallels on an ARM based chipset, here is a brief 1 min video that shows my install attempts and corresponding error messages: https://www.loom.com/share/db2a9ac7ccb443eb8aa9ec1f2ebf41ef

tom

Administrator
OptionVue hasn't had any updates for about six months. They are re-writing it from the ground up so it will likely be 2022 or so before the new OptionVue is ready. I sent Brian (the owner of OptionVue) a message and still waiting for a reply.

Bruno Voisin started a similar project but the lead developer bailed so the project died. It's not a simple undertaking.

I think Amy Meissner runs ONE on a Mac. I'll ask her if there are any gotchas she knows about.

DaveJ

I've been attempting to do exactly this but in a spreadsheet. Really all I want is the expiry graphs and T+0 or T+whatever lines. I have a good start on it. The expiry lines are easy. The T+0 line requires quite a bit more rigor but I have that modeled too. I've been doing this at my leisure so I haven't progressed to the point where I can plot my multiple positions with all the trades rolled up into individual plots. Getting there..... for now, I just use the Analyze graph in TOS and save my trades for easy call up.

Steve G

Tom -
Thank you so much, and the issue isn’t simply running on a Mac, as I am currently running it on a Mac, but it is a Mac with the Intel chips. The new Macintoshes have exclusive Apple chips that are much faster and much more efficient, and while most software seems to run fine, for some reason I cannot get ONE to install.

Dave -
I might actually just go to tracking my trades in TOS the way John Locke explains in his Youtube video here - may be something for you to check out as well:

This person also used the same basic approach:

Thanks again

Reactions: JT

status1

Wingman did not seem to have the P&L Diagram aspects that I like so much
I came across Trademetria recently after Dan showed the TraderSync
It has a nice p/l tracking graph and you can import trades in .csv format but that is just for p/l not for risk graph
For just tracking the p/l you could do a spreadsheet which is what I did

For risk graph (T+0 line) there are limited choices TOS, ONE, OV or something you make yourself
For tracking the T+0 line I use TOS but I don't export and import trades I just turn off and turn on the trades applicable to each brokerage and also take a screenshot at EOD but I don't have many adjustments
Of course if you have a lot of adjustments at many different brokerages than you probably want to export the trade and import them in one at a time

DaveJ

Yes I do use the analyze tab in the same fashion as well which is why my spreadsheet work is not a priority. My spreadsheet is more fun and tinkering.

Last edited:

Stephane

I've just found another forum who has the same question as you. It is here:

In summary, you could install a Windows virtual machine on your Mac that runs Parallel. Oracle Virtual Box (free) could do the job. Try it! Someone else on that forum said that One is working perfectly on a VM (on Mac), but doesn't mention which VM it is.

Steve G

Thank you and I have been running ONE on my Intel based Mac on Parallels for years but I moved to the new M1 Mac and when I install Parallels it has to use the ARM version of windows which apparently ONE won't support and they don't seem very interested in helping thus far either.

If anyone knows how to have Windows 11 ARM emulate the X86 architecture so I might install this - please advise.

Andrey

Hi all, has anyone used OptionColors? Judging by the description - the software is interesting. The minimum subscription is six months, a bit pricey to try. They do live demos, I have sent them a request and am waiting for confirmation

WilliamB

I have used OptionVue on a Mac with Intel chips for years and it works great. I intentionally bought a new iMac just before they changed to Apple chips at the suggestion of OptionVue. My suggestion is to reach out to OptionVue and see if they are having issues on machines with the new Apple chip. I have used both ONE and OV and STRONGLY prefer OV.

Marcas

Hi all, has anyone used OptionColors? Judging by the description - the software is interesting. The minimum subscription is six months, a bit pricey to try. They do live demos, I have sent them a request and am waiting for confirmation
Hi Andrey, thanks for info. I'm interested in this stuff, mean software for traders. I looked up the link.
Advertising is good. looks like you can't loose trading with OptionsColors. ;)
I'm missing screenshots. If you talk to them can you ask for few or make them yourself and ask if you can post them here.
Reading through features....
a lot of stuff there. Almost nothing new/interesting for options trader. For somebody who begins option trading I suspect it might be overvhelming - he can not properly evaluate if given tool is useful or not.
One interesting position from features list is Trade Assistant (single click trade builder) - I use this on my own bc TOS' path to create a trade seems tedious. Wonder how they designed that. New options chains display is also interesting, hope it is highly customizable (I believe it is closely connected to 'a single click' order).
Price... no, no. It's ridiculous. Wonder whom they are targeting. Well, I may be wrong, if you really can't loose with this software price is ridiculously low :)
Again , thanks for info, Post here if you have new information.
Some Round Table session maybe?...

SergB

Hi guys.

I am thinking about an idea to create software that would be like OptionNetExplorer, but web based, so you can use it from any browser and it is not operating system depended.
Do you think there would be interest for this software?

WilliamB

Hi guys.

I am thinking about an idea to create software that would be like OptionNetExplorer, but web based, so you can use it from any browser and it is not operating system depended.
There might be, but there is a huge number of options investors already up to speed on ONE and OptionVue. I have used OV a long time (15+ years) and would have to have a compelling reason to switch. I hate learning new platforms, and one of my cardinal rules is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

status1

Hi all, has anyone used OptionColors?
I believe that is from SJO and pretty sure it's proprietary so that is why it's so expensive
Maybe they are trying to spin it off from the main website or just show it as a teaser to get you to buy the entire software
You also have to sign a NDA so you will not be able to share anything anywhere ant they are quite strict about it

status1

Of course there would be interest in it the question is
Can you do it ?
What is stopping you ?
How much is it going to cost ?

SergB

Of course there would be interest in it the question is
Can you do it ?
What is stopping you ?
How much is it going to cost ?
I need to understand where to get reliable real-time datafeed, and also where to get historical data with reasonable intra day resolution. CBOE has it, but it costs like $100k per year of data or so.
So the cost of data will be primary limiting factor what cost of membership could be.

Andrey

Yes, before the presentation they make me sign a nondisclosure agreement. They are paranoid about someone copying their software, so I will not post screenshots here :))

Hi guys.

Here is such a web-application. It works with TOS, it doesn't work with IB. They told me that IBKR API doesn't support interaction with web applications

status1

Here is such a web-application. It works with TOS, it doesn't work with IB. They told me that IBKR API doesn't support interaction with web applications

Looks to me like they are not ready for prime time
You have to go on their waiting list plus you have to pay a subscription and they don't even have a demo so not sure what you are getting for your money It could be the same as TOS with maybe a few bells and whistles that you don't really need
The support page says "Coming soon..."

Marcas

Yes, there are some signals around mentioned software that raise warning flags. Caution is recommended. Do not get into excitement and spend the money right away. Programs eventually may prove to be quite good... for some or pure fluff for others. Be sure that your trading style will benefit from the soft. Other way it will be just one more toy that will suck your time and money, for pleasure of pushing some buttons. At this stage it is hard to tell anything for sure.

I see nothing in listed features that can not be achieved locally on traders own computer.
I'm big proponent of learning /polishing coding skills among traders. That ofc is not for everyone and it also requires time, but benefits flowing out of ability to code for yourself are quite substantial. New paths opens, paths that not likely be available in any commercial soft.

As per idea of SergB about building own trading/testing/learning platform. It is absolutely possible and not that hard after all. The big issue, as mentioned, is data feed. When building such an app for public there is need for as much data as possible - for potential costumers comming with different trading preferences. If platform, or even extensions to functionality of existing platform (like in my case) is build for single or small group of users only necessary data can be fed (cost cut). At any time new functionality can be added, changed or removed as need arises. Also when code works on local machine security is of lesser concern.
From experience I can tell though that it is very hard to gather group of traders-programmers to work together - each has own ideas :)

There are few sources that provide delayed data - sometimes only at the end of the day. This is sufficient for learning/analyzing part, and a good point to start the adventure. For trading, solid live feed is needed, unless one trades solely on EOD data. Some brokers do provide data for costumers to use. This seems to be easiest way for now, unfortunately data quality varies between brokers as well as scope of available data.

Contact Us