Getting to Know Each Other

Alyssa

Fun questions we can answer and share with one another. The template below can be used as a guide. No limit to what you feel like sharing about yourself.
20211116_054820_0000.png
Good morning, my name is Alyssa. I am Wayne's wife. This space is for us to connect and get to know one another. I believe social connection and community are very important. Many benefits have been discovered through research. With that being said, I'll kick things off...

▪️ Time I wake up: 5am...I enjoy the quiet time in the morning before my family wakes up
▪️ Ideal vacation: a place to relax away from the city/hustle and bustle. Preferably the beach or somewhere tropical. Side note... Next place on my bucket list to travel is Nashville, TN.
▪️ Preferred communication style: text/personal letters. Call me old school, I enjoy hand written letters. So much thought and effort go into this form of communication and having a hard copy in hand is special to me.
▪️ Most cherished childhood memory: my dad built my sister and I a treehouse that had electricity and carpet. It was magical. The love put into it and the small details of a side walk leading up to it... thinking about the treehouse brings a smile to my face
▪️ Favorite book: I read all the time so it's difficult to choose. "Thinking In Bets" was interesting, "Think Like a Monk" was recommended too me, but still on my wish list... the last series I read "Ember in the Ashes" (4 books)
▪️ Current hobby: party planning & digital Monopoly on Stadia
▪️Quote to live by: Love your neighbor as yourself and treat others as you want to be treated

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Last edited:

GaryB

Thanks Alyssa, that was nice. I happen to live down the street from Tom, so we were able to meet. It's nice to know who people are.

Alyssa

Thank you Gary. I'd love to hear more about you. What inspired you to get into trading? Any current hobbies at the moment?

Small world, right? That's great you got to meet with Tom. Getting together locally for coffee is something we enjoy doing.

GaryB

Are you here in the springs also?

At the height of the 2008 crash I made the mistake of
A) looking at my 401k
B) stumbling across permabear Weiss
C) and believing him- that we should all bail out at the bottom and investing is easy, just buy the contrarion newsletter. We'll can all be millionaires and be superior with our secret knowledge only known to a select group willing to fork over $49.

Before that I blissfully ignored my 401k and honestly I would have been better off to continue ignoring it.

Still the bug is in me and I continue my quest for the secret chord that David knew.

tom

Administrator
Thanks Alyssa, that was nice. I happen to live down the street from Tom, so we were able to meet. It's nice to know who people are.
It was nice to meet Gary. Nothing like putting a name and a face together is there?

So for me... I have REALLY weird hours. My wife Gaby is from Belgium and has family there but they are eight time zones ahead of us. If Gaby calls at 10am there, it's 2am here. We try to get to sleep by 1am but a lot of times that slips by. Today I woke up at 2:30am to do coding but other days I wake up at 8am to get ready for a meeting for instance. I also tend to watch the markets etc on my ipad if I wake up in the middle of the night. Such is the life of a non-day trader :)

Ideal vacation could be several things:
  • A month or two in Paris.
  • A trip to New Zealand to enjoy nature
  • A trip to Dillon, Colorado to enjoy nature and good food.
    dillon-colorado.jpg
  • Flying a small airplane around the country and stopping in interesting places.
Current hobbies are violin and aviation.
  • Violin: I have played viola since I was 10 and switched to violin about six years ago. My mother was a concert pianist and my 2nd oldest son went to Berklee College of Music in Boston and has a degree as a composer.
  • Aviation: I am a retired Air Force pilot and still fly general aviation aircraft. I built and maintain the local Peterson Space Force Aero Club website and a Continuous Descent Final Approach calculator that's pretty popular. I'd love to own an airplane at some point. A beautiful aircraft that just came to the United States is a Pipistrel Panthera.
Favorite quotes:
  • “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” -George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905
  • "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." -Albert Einstein
  • "You can write that on your belly." -Translated phrase from Dutch. Means "You can forget that."

Wayne

Aeromir Expert
Time I wake up: Natural... I haven't used an alarm clock since I part owed an automotive shop. Letting go of the familiar Beep Beep Beep is one of my favorite life accomplishments. Everyone asks, "how do you know when to get up". The funny thing is, when I go to sleep I look at the clock and know what time I need to get up. Then when it's near that time my eyes open and, behold I'm early! I still set one on important days or flight times just in case though.

▪️ Ideal vacation: Waking up in a villa smelling the ocean air, knowing that today no one or nothing is pulling at me to do something. Just loosely playing out the day as it flows and as life unfolds. Exploring a new town or place with utter amazement of beauty.

▪️ Preferred communication style: Face to face... call me old school, body language and peoples energy is infectious. It is the best way to get to know someone.

▪️ Most cherished childhood memory: Riding motocross with friends. I loved jumping on my KX125 and ripping around a track or through the trees in the Pacific NW.

▪️ Favorite book: Easily "Letting Go" David Hawkins https://www.amazon.com/Letting-David-Hawkins-M-D-Ph-D/dp/1401945015
absolutely rocked my world, in a good way. The end gets a little woo woo, but the emotional levels showed me the greatness in everyone.

An honorable mention would be Principles for "Navigating Big Debt Crisis" Ray Dalio

▪️ Current hobby: Spending time with my son and wife. doing anything... fishing on our boat, playing games, eating out, or just being vegetables watching Disney.

▪️Quote to live by: “We change the world not by what we say or do, but as a consequence of what we have become.

David R. Hawkins

Alyssa

Are you here in the springs also?

At the height of the 2008 crash I made the mistake of
A) looking at my 401k
B) stumbling across permabear Weiss
C) and believing him- that we should all bail out at the bottom and investing is easy, just buy the contrarion newsletter. We'll can all be millionaires and be superior with our secret knowledge only known to a select group willing to fork over $49.

Before that I blissfully ignored my 401k and honestly I would have been better off to continue ignoring it.

Still the bug is in me and I continue my quest for the secret chord that David knew.
No we are located in the Seattle Area. Thank you for sharing your investing journey. To be honest I don't look too much at my 401k, but I do take advantage of my company match 😁

Beverly

Hi everyone

This is a fun idea--thanks for starting it, Alyssa! I'm Beverly in New York, Tim's sister.

Time I wake up--naturally around 6 am. Gone are the days of the alarm jolting me out of the wrong sleep cycle at inopportune times!

Ideal Vacation--We are looking forward to discovering our new condo on the Riviera Maya, hopefully in a few months. We bought it remotely at the beginning of the pandemic, when property prices crashed. It's been rented out with short-term rentals since, but we haven't yet been there yet due to covid restrictions.

Preferred Communication Style--A couple of years ago I would have said face-to-face, and that's probably still my first choice, but the pandemic has shown me that online communication can work, too.

Most Cherished Childhood Memory--Summertimes, when Tim and I would camp out with our Dad in a tent in the backyard. We'd slide into the tent feet first, so our heads were sticking out and looking up at the night sky. Dad would show us all the constellations and tell us about space. It had a lasting impact--I became fascinated with astrophysics (I sometimes think I like options trading because it's full of numbers!) and Tim built a telescope from scratch.

Favorite Book--I'm currently reading anything I can find by Stephanie Dray. Just finished "The Women of Chateau Lafayette", which is superb. It's an historical account of the legacy of the Marquis de Lafayette, told through the eyes of the women of the family.

Current Hobby--Playing the piano! I am currently thoroughly enjoying preparing eight excerpts, arranged for piano, from "The Nutcracker".

Quote to Live By--"Caution is preferable to rash bravery". Shakespeare, King Henry the Fourth. It's posted front and center on my options trading desk. When trading, I sometimes paraphrase it to myself as "Don't be an idiot."

Alyssa

Hi everyone

This is a fun idea--thanks for starting it, Alyssa! I'm Beverly in New York, Tim's sister.

Time I wake up--naturally around 6 am. Gone are the days of the alarm jolting me out of the wrong sleep cycle at inopportune times!

Ideal Vacation--We are looking forward to discovering our new condo on the Riviera Maya, hopefully in a few months. We bought it remotely at the beginning of the pandemic, when property prices crashed. It's been rented out with short-term rentals since, but we haven't yet been there yet due to covid restrictions.

Preferred Communication Style--A couple of years ago I would have said face-to-face, and that's probably still my first choice, but the pandemic has shown me that online communication can work, too.

Most Cherished Childhood Memory--Summertimes, when Tim and I would camp out with our Dad in a tent in the backyard. We'd slide into the tent feet first, so our heads were sticking out and looking up at the night sky. Dad would show us all the constellations and tell us about space. It had a lasting impact--I became fascinated with astrophysics (I sometimes think I like options trading because it's full of numbers!) and Tim built a telescope from scratch.

Favorite Book--I'm currently reading anything I can find by Stephanie Dray. Just finished "The Women of Chateau Lafayette", which is superb. It's an historical account of the legacy of the Marquis de Lafayette, told through the eyes of the women of the family.

Current Hobby--Playing the piano! I am currently thoroughly enjoying preparing eight excerpts, arranged for piano, from "The Nutcracker".

Quote to Live By--"Caution is preferable to rash bravery". Shakespeare, King Henry the Fourth. It's posted front and center on my options trading desk. When trading, I sometimes paraphrase it to myself as "Don't be an idiot."
Of course!!! Happy to encourage everyone to connect.

Must be nice to wake up when your body tells you it's rested. I'm still attached to the dreadful alarm 😜. I hear it's beautiful in Riviera Maya. Congratulations on snagging that property. I look forward to see pictures of your travels once you are able to go. Have you been able to keep consistent rental bookings?

What a beautiful childhood memory. Isn't it amazing how something so simple can be a lasting impact? We too did camping, but my dads favorite was fishing. He would be that cool dad and pull me out of school sometimes for a day fishing trip.

Piano!!! How long have you been playing? What great music pieces to choose for this time of year. The Nutcracker ballet is so breathtaking.

Do you have any fun Christmas plans this month?

Beverly

The rental bookings are pretty consistent--mostly people from other parts of Mexico as well as Argentina. I am so looking forward to being there myself. We're tentatively planning on March--fingers crossed.

I've been at the piano since I was five. I actually started my career as a music teacher before morphing into school administration, and I finished my career as a school superintendent for U.S. Embassy and international schools overseas--in all, 21 years abroad. But the thing about being a music teacher is that it becomes work instead of fun. It took the change of career to make it fun again.

My mother loved to fish! I've done a little fly fishing. What kind of fishing for you?

Hang in there with the alarm--the day will come! It's pure bliss to wake up naturally.

Contact Us