Is anyone using the Brave web browser?

tom

Administrator
Staff member
Someone in a developer forum said this:

Have you checked out Brave? Very sleek, so it's fast and most Chrome add-ons work on it, without it reporting every move you make back to Google.

Sounds intriguing.

tom

Administrator
Staff member
I downloaded and installed Brave. The download was easy, installation was simple and it imported my Google bookmarks and settings perfectly and very quickly.

I've been browsing around with Brave and it does seem snappier than Chrome or Firefox. First impression is excellent.

Marcas

Tom, what a coincidence. I'm in the middle of checking new system for my trading PC and choosing and setting browsers is the most time consuming task. I think I have it to acceptable level though, at least for now.
I've heard plenty of good about Brave but check out this link:
https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/brave.html

Still Brave can be ok, depends what are you looking for.

tom

Administrator
Staff member
I like it so far. That link refers to uMatrix for Chrome. Probably something to look into.

My wife and I both see a noticable speed increase with Brave so overall we like it.

MarkSWinston

I have the Brave browser installed. But, when I tried it a while back, it had one glaring problem. It claimed, on the one hand, that it could be set not to track me. But, OTOH, I found that I could NOT disable the autocomplete for the address bar! 8-[

Marcas

I don't know why the link leads you somewhere else. On my side it works fine. In general, it says that Brave is not as secure or private as they claim. If you are moving from Chrome it will be improvement nonetheless, no doubt.

Btw, uMatrix is awesome. Simple version is uBlock. Cutting crap off makes any browser work faster.

status1

I installed months ago but I can't say I see any noticeable difference
It only save a fraction of a second which over time adds up but it's not something I can measure
One thing it doesn't work is tracking packages Looks like only google can track packages

As far as security I like it that it saves the link for an account so it does not ask for user name and password but that is not good for security as anyone can log in as long as they have access to the pc
On Firefox I have it set to not remember passwords and delete cookies and history when I close it but I am not sure if Brave has those options or where they are so I am only using it sparingly

MarkSWinston

I installed months ago but I can't say I see any noticeable difference
It only save a fraction of a second which over time adds up but it's not something I can measure
One thing it doesn't work is tracking packages Looks like only google can track packages

As far as security I like it that it saves the link for an account so it does not ask for user name and password but that is not good for security as anyone can log in as long as they have access to the pc
On Firefox I have it set to not remember passwords and delete cookies and history when I close it but I am not sure if Brave has those options or where they are so I am only using it sparingly
It does have those kind of options, but even if you set it to delete history, it still autocompletes! Which means it's saving your bleepin' history!