Library restricted ?

Is the library restricted to gold members only ?

Yesterday when I looked at it there were no new posts since the new year but it was still accessible
Now today it's totally blocked and says you have to be a gold member to view anything

tom

Administrator
Staff member
That's correct. I completed the coding to restrict the library to Gold members. The membership is the only subscription that goes directly towards offsetting the costs of running the site . The trade alerts, mentoring etc primarily go to the experts and mentors. I hope you understand. :)

You can still attend the trading groups and Round Table meetings live of course. The Round Tables are always posted on the YouTube channel.

I understand but I imagine a lot of members are working or otherwise cannot attend the live presentation so it was very convenient to watch it later perhaps on the weekend when we have more time

Are the beginners trading group hosted by Tim Pierson also available in youtube?

Thanks
I believe only the Round table presentations are on YouTube so everything else if you are not a gold member or watch it live is off the menu
I looked for it in the library on Saturday when I still had access but it was not even posted so I am pretty sure it's not going to be
available on YouTube

tom

Administrator
Staff member
The only meetings I make public on YouTube are the Round Table meetings.

I appreciate the desire to watch recordings of the trading groups, including Tim's Beginner's trading group; however, I have to pay for the infrastructure to keep it all running. The membership fee is very reasonable. Many other sites charge more for less content.

where can i find the login to the trading groups ? my membership login for free membership and the calendar does not seem to work

tom

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sat Siri! The trading groups are available in real time only for non-members. Gold members can access the library to view or download the recordings.

I needed to make this change as the Gold membership go 100% towards offsetting the cost of running the web site infrastructure.

Crónica de una muerte anunciada. What started out to make a difference ends up competing for being less different. Looking at the type of business model you have chosen to spin-off Aeromir from the (initial) spirit of Capital Discussions, for me there are not many reasons left for supporting what could have been a kind of collaborative think-tank and genuine educational service. I personally will miss a lot what I appreciated so much when I joined this community and regret a lot that the decision to convert it into just another player in a already quite overcrowded market of trader's dreams sellers. Anyway, thanks a lot for what I have learned from you - in particular to Dan Harvey - and hoping that my (negative) impression regarding the development of Aeromir is just that, a paranoic impression of someone who has already seen too many ventures of this type ending up as just one more player in the industry of making money from newbies in the market. Sincerely, and apologizing for my negative contribution, really hoping that I am wrong.

tom

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear you feel that way.

I took action on the library based on my business coach's recommendation. I'm not 100% convinced it's the right direction to go but I do see his point that providing access to recordings for free doesn't pay any bills and actually increases costs. All of the trade alerts are mostly paid to the experts running them. The Gold membership is the only thing that goes directly towards supporting the website infrastructure. I'd say at least half of the people accessing the library in the past never contributed in any way, which includes participation in trading groups or forums. I may bring back some free access to the recordings but the jury is still out.

The live trading group meetings are still open to everyone for free. The cost of a membership is not expensive and is very low compared to other communities in this space.

The business model of Aeromir is exactly the same as Capital Discussions. It is constantly being tweaked. Aeromir is Capital Discussions version 2 imo. The only thing that has changed from Capital Discussions is the restriction on free access to the library.

I used to run a website where people would upload study files. I had a deal that if you uploaded a file you got a free 30-day subscription. I really like that model of having a contribution to the site was required, either by uploading a file for everyone or paying a small subscription fee to keep things running.

I would like to do something similar to encourage participation. I'm not sure exactly how to reward participation though. With my old business it was easy...upload a file and get a 30-day subscription. This is less clear cut. I will give a free Gold membership for anyone that
  • Presents on the Round Table (one year)
  • Writes an article for the blog (500 words = 3-month access 1000+ words = 6-months access and 1500+ words = one year access)
  • Runs a public trading group (while the trading group leader)
  • Runs a trade alert service (while running the alert service)
  • Is a mentor (while they are actively mentoring)
If you can think of other ways to reward participate with a Gold membership, I'm all ears.

Tom

While i have some sympathy for the comments of Peter K above i would like to thank you for all of the time and effort, not to mention $ that you put into the site for the benefit of all the members, it is much appreciated.

I understand a little about the infrastructure costs of such a venture and agree that these costs should not fall to any individual. Not knowing the actual cost structure makes it hard to comment on the method you have chosen but here is my $0.02. Is the majority of the cost related to the storage and bandwidth costs related to the library? If so then fine the current plan addresses that but if the costs are more general infrastructure then it would seem appropriate that the experts contribute at least some amount to the infrastructure that supports that part of their income stream and provides significant marketing that brings in new subscribers.

I would like to take the opportunity to campaign for at least limited access to the recordings for all (even if only7 days) based on the fact that many are unable to watch the sessions live. Note this would also provide an opportunity to see the quality and benefit of the library content and possibly therefore encourage others to go for the Gold.

Peter S

Hi Tom, logged in after a month or 2 and noticed this thread. My visits to CD/Aeromir have reduced since the switchover. Somehow either the people have moved on, or there is less discussions (not talking about videos, written text = just forums) that it does not feel the same any more. To make a more vibrant community, I think you should consider the suggestions of others, such as a free look-back into the past 3-7 days of recordings. This allows dedicated followers to get the benefit, but cuts them off after a time so that incentivizes them to sign up for the gold plan. Also, as suggested above, if most of the material is associated with paid programs, those programs / experts could pitch in with the costs to some extent.

DGH

Staff member
Hi Harry and others. I prefer not to entrench myself too deeply in this discussion for a variety of reasons. However, I would point out that the "experts" do contribute to the cost of operating Aeromir.com. A portion of our proceeds is deducted from our "gross" before we are paid

tom

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tom, logged in after a month or 2 and noticed this thread. My visits to CD/Aeromir have reduced since the switchover. Somehow either the people have moved on, or there is less discussions (not talking about videos, written text = just forums) that it does not feel the same any more. To make a more vibrant community, I think you should consider the suggestions of others, such as a free look-back into the past 3-7 days of recordings. This allows dedicated followers to get the benefit, but cuts them off after a time so that incentivizes them to sign up for the gold plan. Also, as suggested above, if most of the material is associated with paid programs, those programs / experts could pitch in with the costs to some extent.
Hi Harry,

CD originally had a free look back of 30-days. I shortened it to 15-days at Aeromir initially but I still saw roughly the same behavior of 50-100 people who just followed but did not participate in any way. Shortening the access time had no effect on the number of people signing up imo. I don't think it matters if it's 3, 7, 14, or 30-days. I'm not sure how giving people who don't contribute free access improves the community since they don't do anything except consume free content. How are they helping to grow the community?

Perhaps I can encourage forums participation by writing some code to monitor all non-paying members forum posts. If you post a certain number of meaningful posts, I could give access based on that participation.

What do you think?

That would encourage people to actually participate in the forums.

I have a meeting with my business coach on Monday to discuss all of this but I look forward to your ideas too.

Tom, you are the boss ... as in you have much better picture of what is going on. We can just complain :)
Growing the community yes it requires participation. Your idea of giving credit to people based on "meaningful posts" is interesting. Not sure how you will implement it, but if you can, it also serves my purpose of active discussions.

Maybe an employee of the month award :) Ok, not an employee but a contributor of the month.
While I do not know how long will remain active in trading, I am happy to sponsor 2 months (this year and in future "IF" I am active), but I do not want to pick and choose people: it should just be a system driven thing ... I pay into a kitty and system decides to award whoever.

tom

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Harry. I appreciate the feedback. I think I can implement the forum posting idea as I have the information in a database that I can query. That seems plausible without delving into it yet. I'll investigate.

While I understand the need to pay for the cost of maintaining the site I am not sure what is the answer for attracting enough members to pay for it If there was such a need I was wondering how the CD website was maintained or maybe it was loosing money but it was made up by the course membership

I am not sure cutting off the library would be effective so soon after the move because (this is just a guess) not everyone has made the move from CD to Aeromir and because of Slack even the forums are less active ( my opinion)
After the forum the only thing keeping this alive is the library If the library is closed I believe there will be no interest at all and even the free members will abandon this site

I think the round table presentation is keeping up the interest by bringing in different guests with different strategies and points of view and the trading group 1 follows the market moves and show some of the adjustments that can be made
So if someone sees the presentation they may get enough interest to find out more about it and perhaps sign up for one of the courses If they don't see it they don't know what they are missing and move on to another website (just my opinion)

tom

Administrator
Staff member
As I said before, I'm not 100% convinced that my business coach was right about this. I've made a modification to the library so free members see the last seven days with some text above the list of files to subscribe. I already implemented it. I'll review it tomorrow with my business coach but this feels better.

I think that's a good compromise for the time being This way free members can take a peek in the library and see of they find anything interesting It also allows members to watch the videos at a later time if they cannot attend for the live presentation