New OptionVue features this year

tom

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Howard!

Jeff Plimpton still works at OV. Give him a call for an update. I know Brian is rebuilding most of the software. New code, new databases, etc. Brian wants to make it enterprise class software. It'll be a lot of work but Len built a good foundation for it. Len did finally leave the company after he sold it . I know they hired at least one developer but I think there's a team so not just one person. I'm in contact with Len.. perhaps I can ask him for an update.

tom

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff no longer works at OptionVue. I suspended my OV subscription and transitioned to OptionNET Explorer (https://aeromir.com/one).

I heard that John Locke did the same and said OV is useless. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not and what John means by useless.

OV seems to be going the wrong way but I'm not a subscriber any longer so take that with a grain of salt.

Marcas

For what I know both are similar. Main difference is in interface. ONE suppose to be more user friendly but I didn't work with OV so can't say, beside it is personal. I had ONE for couple years. It is fine software if you do what what ONE was designed for, if you want to go your way even in the slightest, it becomes cumbersome. It is possible scripts to make someONE's tasks easier, like importing long trade history to ONE. You can automate dividing all TOS' trades by expiration for example that you don't have to do it manually in ONE (I hope it is improved by now), but it is very limited as ONE is very closed software - no modules, limited settings and so on.
Fridays are particularly hard if you want to analyze your trades over the weekend because you don't get Fri market data in ONE until Monday.
Working with options matrix is pretty good in regard to construct trades but graphing section has a lot of room for improvement.

In the past we were discussing various vol modeling methods used by OV and ONE. I suppose nobody cares this days.
Both are used for backtesting but none have automation. The way ONE presents BT results is very simplistic, don't know about OV.
ONE has a very wide range of tickers included in subscriptions. For long time it didn't support futures - not sure how it is now.
OV allowed, to my knowledge, to download market data for further analysis. With ONE you can't do that.

Why did you say OV is going wrong way? What they are working on?

tom

Administrator
Staff member
ONE has futures now. That's the main reason I didn't use it for a long time. Brian (the new owner) terminated all partner relationships and Len Yates left the company after he sold it. They are focusing more on enterprise level and in the process of rebuilding the software essentially from scratch. They aren't competitive with their pricing and people like me who purchased Back Trader years ago now have to purchase it as if we never bought it. The interface is old but functional. I'm not aware of what they are adding to the software but in the last few months that I used it, the pace of changes had declined a lot. Not surprising with Len's departure.

Marcas

Rebuilding it from scratch sounds good. If they know what they are doing OV may become a good analytical piece of software.
Not sure what do you mean about breaking relationships. I hope they do honor previous commitments or at least canceling them in civilized manner. I remember those talks when people say about breaking existing deals by OV and SMentoring. For me it was a big 'no, no'. I know some other entities that did the same. Oh well...
If OV focusing on professionals then market void for good soft for non-professionals opens even wider. I will observe with interest but not looking to throw money on this kind of programs at the moment.

tom

Administrator
Staff member
They abruptly terminated all partner and affiliate relationships and burned a lot of bridges with little or no notice.

Bruno said their software is getting close to releasing but it is initially more oriented towards beginners. I still haven't seen it so I'm not sure how close it will be to OV/ONE.

Don Brady

John Locke said in a recent webinar that the new owners of OptionVue are having a lot of difficulty maintaining the source code and fixing bugs. He sees indications of their rewriting it (or parts of it) from scratch, and in the end looking quite different from what it is now.

tom

Administrator
Staff member
I heard they hired a developer to learn Borland's Delphi, which Len Yates used to create and maintain OV for years. I also heard they were completely re-writing it, probably in C++ or Java or similar. That's a huge undertaking but at least they have Len's code to start from.