SOAP visual overview

Marcas

Brouno, as author of SOAP, knows everything about the program and, I'm afraid, he assumes viewers have similar knowledge.
It may be beneficial if somebody else, not familiar with program as he is, do presentation.

status1

Bummer

What about that visual basic ?
It looked like it was running inside that program unless that was just some kind of background

Marcas

I think Bruno is targeting Europe traders. They don't have access to TOS' tools. From this point, starting with IB makes sense.
What he showed is not final product. I do not know if he eventually will put everything in one file or create installer or just provide instructions for installation.

Bruno works hard to finalize the project. I don't think it is good time to make any suggestions especially that it was hard to grasp good overview and architecture of SOAP. From what he told, I deduct, that he will be managing it by himself, without any third parties.

status1

No doubt he worked hard on it and everyone appreciates it but if it needs visual basic and IB this will be of limited use
I thought there was an excel version ready but I guess this is not it
I think it will be a long time before it's going to be available as a standalone software that works with TOS
It's nothing wrong with that I will continue to use TOS until something better comes along

Bruno

Hi Guys,
My apologies for responding late ! Going to this forum is just not part of my busy routine...
There is a SOAP channel on my own Slack group however I promise to try and look at this forum also more often. Contact me on my Aeromir email and I'll send you an invite.

In a nutshell, for those who haven't seen my June presentation, I was kind of disillusioned by modelling on OV and decided not to trade using a black box I could no longer trust, particularly in ultra vol environments. ONE does not pretend to be as advanced but it seems to be doing a fair job at it.
Trusting tools is essential; who needs an extra stress when things go haywire? I understand a majority of traders are deterred by option theory but ignoring it is no answer either. I believe Tom has set up a new trading group to discuss this more advanced topic however very much from a practitioner's perspective still.

To answer a few questions: I have coded it in VB.NET the same way I could have done it in C#. Microsoft promote the dotNET Framework and the programming language is almost irrelevant. Performance should also be about the same. The dotNET Framework is installed and integrated on all Windows computers. I have started looking into dotNET CORE which promises better compatibility across platforms (Unix, MacOS) but that is not a priority at this stage. There is no need to install Visual Studio to run SOAP.

I have since the June presentation also made the Excel output optional. It's quite handy to have it but not essential either.

With regard to broker interface, I believe there is more demand for tools on IB considering the TWS is atrocious to work with. SOAP has been coded to be broker independent so I'll look into that once they take developers on board again.

With regard to the knowledge required, I want to address any curious trader with a fair knowledge of Greeks. There is quite a lot under the bonnet which unlike other programs I am happy to expose and share. That said, users can of course explore at their own pace. I personally find volatility skew and surface fascinating to study and that topic has to be addressed by options traders at some point in my humble opinion.
Failing to do so will inevitably lead to "surprises".
Many mentors blame either the software or the market; I'd rather take the stance ignorance is the biggest risk factor in trading...

Bruno

Yes, it is a standalone prog and I'll be sending out the last alpha version by end of week. It will be available online in late beta stage (hopefully by mid Aug).

status1

Where does the SOAP program get installed ?
When I install the program it says that it will be installed in E:/program files/OM/SOAP but after it's installed I don't see any such file
Is it invisible or hidden maybe ? I also did a search for OM and SOAP from windows start but it did not find any such folder

status1

I installed it exactly as in the video but there is no shortcut to the desktop and it's nowhere to be found
I even did the remove and reinstall to see where it is saving it and I went to that folder and there is no such file
It's like a virtual install no one can see it except the soap installation file
When it's installed and I look at the control panel to try to uninstall it it's not listed as a file that can be uninstalled
Very strange

Not sure if this makes any difference but I did not use the drop box I used the direct download and moved the file to the download folder and did the installation from there
Do I need to have dotNet in order to be able to see it ?
I would think not but who knows This is very strange

Bruno

Thank you for taking the time to try and install SOAP.
There must have been a glitch somehow as SOAP should definitely appear in the list of installed programs on the Control Panel.
I would suggest to start from scratch again from the DropBox link.
dotNET is always pre-installed on Windows computers however you may have an older version.
If the install fails again, we can maybe try to sort it out via TeamViewer.

status1

I have dot net 4.7
I tried it again but it made no difference
Interestingly I tried to install the second download on top of it and it was saying that I have an older version and i should use the control panel to uninstall it which would not work so I used the first download to remove it than install it with the second download but the results are still the same

status1

Yes I used the default folder which in my case is the E drive not sure if that makes any difference but maybe this does

Does soap only works with windows 10 ?
Because I was able to install it there but it's not working on windows 7 which I am using normally

Another thing I noticed before I am running the program I get the warning if it's ok to run the program and it says it's running it from the temp folder even though I clicked on it to run from the download folder
I will try to delete it from the temp folder to see if that makes any difference