The Car Trade

tom

Administrator
Staff member
I watched The Car Trade from Dave Heinzen from a few days ago on John Locke's YouTube channel.

Here are some screen shots from the video

1585972667094.png

1585972686204.png

1585972610224.png

1585972718409.png

To me, it seems like a Parking Trade with a few variations and slightly different trade management.

tom

Administrator
Staff member
Sharing it for now.... John and Seth like to sell expensive courses so it wouldn’t surprise me to see something for sale in the future.

Marcas

It' is good they are sharing. Actually it is very good. People can ignore sales pitch and see with their eyes what it is.

I didn't watch presentation, just skimmed through slides. For what I can tell it is another bar to jump on in spinning squirrel cage.
Car trade can be profitable for a time though.

AndrewS

A Bearish Butterfly paid for with put Credit Spreads. As the results show, it works well in normal markets but got destroyed, like everything else, in the transition from normal to abnormal. Now that the transition is over, it would be interesting to see the results going forward. With volatility sky high butterflies are very cheap and I'm not sure the credit spreads are worth the risk they bring paying for the butterfly now.

Dave

Thanks, guys, for adding this here. It’s cool to see your own trade being discussed. It’s nothing revolutionary, and no one will ever be charged for it. It’s simply a discretionary take on JL’s Bull vs Bear, to fit my needs. Everyone who trades long enough knows that you have to trade according to your own personality, which means creating something new, or simply adapting a tried and true method (this).

March expiration was a bust. I sat out this specific trade in April as VIX was too elevated for being delta neutral. May, June, and July have been winners. Here is July right before exiting on Monday. Again, it’s nothing super special, but has paid for my car over the last year. 😎

A8F064B1-5834-46D7-940D-CCD77F7D8099.jpeg

Marcas

Good looking graph, Dave. Wonder if you entered this a single trade or legged in.
You are right about personality being very important factor. I learned that too.
I don't trade RUT and have no real feeling fir it. Just from my point of view downside risk is to big. I don't mean this concrete example (market conditions etc.)

Dave

Thanks, Marcas. It was legged in. Because it starts as 5 separate strikes, it must be legged in. Most brokers, if not all, only allow 4 legs max in one order. But it was all entered the same day. Also, I used a bit of TA here. Sold credit spreads when RUT was 1376 and bought the bfly two hours later when RUT was 1388. Here are the filled orders.

FF363C56-0223-43CE-9C2D-065DFF30FAE8.jpeg

Marcas

Thanks Dave. It look good let's see what market will bring us.
I'm so sensitive to risk this days that your left side make me itchy :)

David S

I watched and there wasn't much discussion about adjustments other than vaguely adding a butterfly. Did I miss something?

status1

Normally there is no need for adjustment on this type of trade It's only when the market is crashing and at that point it may be better to just close it at a predetermined loss value based on an exit plan in this case it's the initial credit Ofcourse you may not be able to get out at that exact point when the market is crashing hard but you still get to keep most of the capital to put on another trade

On the upside you could do some adjustments to the butterfly and do a RH if you can afford the margin but normally I would just leave it alone and get whatever profit you have at the time for the next cycle