ViPar Trade with Scott Rubel

I agree John, it is a hell of a lot to pay for a 'book' and a poorly bound one at that! My 18 year old daughter was stunned too.
However, for me it was a good buy. I purchased a trading system and included with it is a couple of years of Scott Rubel's professional experience with the trading method, also I'm trading more than 1 lots so it only took a couple of trades to make back my investment in the 'book' and to whoever I resell it, I will also include my personal experience with it (if it is from an Aeromir member) and how I changed it to be a better and more profitable trading system. Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Ken,

You may be interested in "Mean Reversion Trading Systems", pages 209-215, by Howard Bandy.

How shows a VIX - SPY system & VIX to many major ETFs and Stocks, with % of winners > 74%. He uses the RSI on the VIX and backtests results via AmiBroker (code given).

I haven't tried, though others may want to peer into this...

Marc

Marcus, $250 is an appropriate price to pay if you are trading 1 lots.

The author's examples are typically 10 contract trades and he averages about $1000 per trade on $13K margin with 3.5 Days in trade and 20 trades in 9 months. 80% winning trades. So trading 10 lots, it should take about 1 month or so for the strategy to pay for itself and then you may resell the books.
I don't trade it quite like Scott Rubel does, it is a very versatile trade you will end up fitting into your own trading style, anyone who has TOS can read my returns in VXX, VXXB and SPX since January 1 2019 as attached...

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_278 Apr. 02 11.04.jpg
    ScreenHunter_278 Apr. 02 11.04.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 145
I know this trade a little. I traded it several times already. Though, I did not do any deep studies on it yet to find nuances to explore. This work is ahead of me. I won't relay solely on book, but I'm sure reading it would be quite helpful. There is no way I pay 5k (or 3K) without making sure it is worth the money. I'm not saying it is not, I just don't know. $250 is about what I'm willing to pay 'blindly' as for today. (Don't expect you will agree but 'who knows'. :)

Kenb,
I will give you more than $250 maybe we can negotiate a fairer price?
Send me a pm.
Alex

The book was sold last week. Maybe the purchaser will resell it again in a couple of months to give you another chance at the used book. Good luck!

One question concerning the ViPAR strategy... This strategy works only in a stressed market environment, correct? It is not an "always on" slap on-slap off strategy... Rather, it needs certain circumstances in which the ratio between SPX and VXXB has a certain value... Is this correct?

Yes, the trade idea works best when the VIX is at an 'overbought' level, however the ViPar trade to me, is merely another way to trade volatility and further illustrates how the VIX/VXX should be included in your option trading repertoire ('arsenal' if your from TX :) along with SPX, NDX, ETF's, stocks and Futures.

Contrary to the popular teaching, there is not an "always on" slap on-slap off strategy anymore. In selling option premium, unless you can predict price, you have to make a profit make by selling Volatility. The no-brainer, "monthly income" trades that worked great coming off the 2008-09 market meltdown as volatility gradually came down over the years are over until after the next major market meltdown and the cycle repeats.

If you listen to some of the better option traders on Aeromir, they tell you...
there is a time for trading calendar's, a time for the 'parking trade', a time for condors, a time to be in cash, a time to trade VIX, a time for the 'road trip' trade, etc...

Youtube, John Carter and the other experts are NOT the complete answer, typically, teacher's are especially good at talking, talking big! If they were so option smart they would be running a hedge fund and wouldn't be pleading for your money, though again, you may be able to get some good ideas from them.

For the ViPar book, I paid $3500 on their annual November Black Friday Special to continue my education and it did paid off for MY option trading.
I also like Option Slam's "Double Eagle" trade, though there is a time to trade it and a time not to trade it and the course did not teach when not to trade or when to adjust the trade.
I like using ONE backtester to help me have some confidence when I place a trade, maybe Aeromir has a discount on it.

Option trading is just like everything else in life, you get out of it what you put into it! Best wishes to you all...

Maybe it would make sense to resverse the trade in case of a very bullish market (i.e. when the VIX is oversold)?

You can try do that, but there are better way to go about very bullish markets. Don't limit yourself.

I begin the double-eagle as a single calendar 'a single eagle' then add the other side on as the adjustment, creating the double eagle.

Yes, it has been brutal for market neutral traders, I had some nice profits in quite a few Double Eagle trades only to see them quickly disappear after a 'tweet' or some irrelevant news. As a result I began trading directionally, buying after a sell off and selling after a market run up, satisfied with some smaller gains and will continue to do so until the 'tweets' stop or the mkt. breaks out to new high territory. Right now, there just isn't enough premium to compensate for the short term mkt. move risk.

With interest rates close to nothing, institutional option algorithms have come into vogue, very happy with making under 1/2% a week and with a seat on the CBOE no commissions or slippage, it makes it nearly impossible for the retail trader to compete. The market is constantly changing.

Yes, it has been brutal for market neutral traders, I had some nice profits in quite a few Double Eagle trades only to see them quickly disappear after a 'tweet' or some irrelevant news. As a result I began trading directionally, buying after a sell off and selling after a market run up, satisfied with some smaller gains and will continue to do so until the 'tweets' stop or the mkt. breaks out to new high territory. Right now, there just isn't enough premium to compensate for the short term mkt. move risk.

With interest rates close to nothing, institutional option algorithms have come into vogue, very happy with making under 1/2% a week and with a seat on the CBOE no commissions or slippage, it makes it nearly impossible for the retail trader to compete. The market is constantly changing.
During the Oct market turbulence, had you placed any Vipar trade? how is the result? I have tried to back test Vipar, and didn't find any clue.

You say, "didn't find any clue" ?

Yes, I made 12% from the VXX. As I mentioned above, I don't trade it the way it Rubel does in the book, I like to short VXX rather buy the puts. I haven't heard back from the fellow who bought the ViPar book.

Contact Us