Best Laptop for trading

I work for Microsoft and it is my understanding that the Surface Book has the same version of Windows 10 as any desktop machine. It's not a special mobile edition or anything like that.

Something else to think about - I recently purchased an HP Spectre x2. The specs aren't as impressive as all of the premium computers discussed in this thread but it does have the advantage of supporting a 4G SIM Card. If my primary computer fails or the internet goes down I can use the SIM Card and connect to the internet via cellular service. I use it when I travel because it's small (2.68 lbs) and I don't need Wifi. It can operate as either a tablet or a notebook computer, has an Intel m3-6Y30 processor that is more than sufficient for trading and keeping records. It runs 64-bit Window 10, has a 12-inch 1920x1280 WUXGA screen + touch display, 4 GB Ram, comes with 128 GB SSD and it has a Micro Sim card slot that can take a 256 GB card, which is more than enough for running the software I need and saving whatever data I want with me at all times. I've heard there a newer versions of Windows tablets that include SIM card slots - if I needed an internet connection at all times I'd really consider something that included a SIM card as a backup computer.

I purchased a HP Spectre x360 yesterday and loving it so far. 13 inch with 2.7Ghz dual-core i7 and 8GB RAM. I also considered a Surface Pro 4 with nearly the same specs. for $300 more. I went with the HP for the much better battery life. The HP only has a 1080P resolution but looks great on a 13.3" display and is 166 PPI. I set the scaling to 100% while using TOS and OV and use 125% scaling for casual use. I did not see the benefit of the higher resolution on the Surface Pro 4 unless color accuracy is important. I originally intended to purchase a 15 inch laptop but they were too big on my lap (I am a small and short guy). The service I received at Best Buy was excellent.

I have loved my Microsoft Surface Book! I have been a Mac guy for the past decade, but his Surface Book is a thing of beauty...the screen is better than any Mac I have ever had...just a great laptop...and looking forward to the newer version set to come out soon.

I purchased a HP Spectre x360 yesterday and loving it so far. 13 inch with 2.7Ghz dual-core i7 and 8GB RAM. I also considered a Surface Pro 4 with nearly the same specs. for $300 more. I went with the HP for the much better battery life. The HP only has a 1080P resolution but looks great on a 13.3" display and is 166 PPI. I set the scaling to 100% while using TOS and OV and use 125% scaling for casual use. I did not see the benefit of the higher resolution on the Surface Pro 4 unless color accuracy is important. I originally intended to purchase a 15 inch laptop but they were too big on my lap (I am a small and short guy). The service I received at Best Buy was excellent.

Thanks for your info , I'm going to buy a new notebook to replace my previous desktop computer. i will think it over ,

Posted by Eankssery

This is an older thread but still relevant...but perhaps the hardware people are using now has changed.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 17" 3793 model recently. 512 GB SSD drive, 16 GB Ram. I am able to run ExperCharts, Interactive Brokers TWS and NinjaTrader without any problems at the same time.

What are you using for a laptop?

GY, with Linux and Thinkorswim you have to install some Java.
Last time I checked TOS recommended something like Java 7 or 8, so, very old versions which, if I'm not mistaken, are not supported anymore. I called TOS, it was like a year ago, asking about that and they stick to recommended Java edition and did not recommend 12 (I think this was newer at the time). Did anything changed? What Java do you use with TOS? Does Manjaro comes with Java?

Just checked. TOS requirement: Java 1.8.0_60 JRE

Question to Windows users: what Java version do you use?

GY, with Linux and Thinkorswim you have to install some Java.
Last time I checked TOS recommended something like Java 7 or 8, so, very old versions which, if I'm not mistaken, are not supported anymore. I called TOS, it was like a year ago, asking about that and they stick to recommended Java edition and did not recommend 12 (I think this was newer at the time). Did anything changed? What Java do you use with TOS? Does Manjaro comes with Java?

Just checked. TOS requirement: Java 1.8.0_60 JRE

Question to Windows users: what Java version do you use?
Screenshot_2020-04-20_21-30-04.jpg

This is the Java I installed on my manjaro system. TOS won't work with higher version java.

Just listened to the latest Trading Group 1 and towards the end there was some discussion on hardware. Tom mentioned Velocity Micro as a good place to look and it sounded like that was for a PC and not a laptop. I currently have a Dell XPS 13" 16GB laptop which is ok, but can be rather slow when I'm multitasking with TOS and a few other programs. Ideally, I would like to stick with a laptop so I can take it with me when I travel. Looking for an update or suggestions on this topic.

Velocity Micro has laptops. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 17” but I imagine the Velocity Micro laptops are excellent.

I have been using an Alienware laptop that I got on sale at Best Buy (around $1500). The model is "m15 R4" with, 10th gen I7, 16gb ram, 512GBssd hard drive with a Geforce RTX 3070 video card. I added an extra 2TB ssd hard drive after I bought it. Also, I have it connect to a 4K 55" TV as my monitor. This setup has been work pretty well for me the last few months and as a bonus it is a great "gaming" PC.

I use a 2019 Razer Blade 15 with a 2080 MaxQ. It can handle anything I throw at it. Video editing, gaming, and trading. Plenty of ports for peripherals. I run a Thunderbolt doc to it and have 2, 27 Inch monitors. It's thin, powerful, and fun!

Contact Us