Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot for all this information. It really helps a lot. A couple of additional comments:
- When trading small size, it is not easy to place the longs and shorts that far one from the other, like 50 or 60 points (because that will give you more deltas than needed)
- So, mainly, I have to decide whether I place the spread ITM, ATM or OTM (usually 20-30 points wide). I understand that the vol skew can help but only a little in this case, and mainly when you place your spread ITM. So , in that situation and based on your experience, do you think it makes lot of a difference in the PNL?
- Last: Do you use any specific software to analyze the Vol skew?
Thanks Kevin!
I used Kevin's IV skew graph above to discuss the topic in more depth during today's Trading Group 2 meeting (Jan 19, 2016).
Please review that if you'd like a deeper understanding of how skew works, in terms of trade design and adjustments.
My section starts from the 13 min mark.
I used Kevin's IV skew graph above to discuss the topic in more depth during today's Trading Group 2 meeting (Jan 19, 2016).
Please review that if you'd like a deeper understanding of how skew works, in terms of trade design and adjustments.
My section starts from the 13 min mark.
Am I correct? Does the ONE model already count in the skew? How is this in OV?
Well done Ron ! The discussions about adjustments to M3 are spot on. Thanx for the video.
...and thank you Kevin for bringing up this important topic here in the forum.
I love it when we can collaborate and build on ideas proposed by others.
It's a win/win situation for everyone involved........as well as the lurkers who hide in the corner![]()
Yes 20-30 pts is good enough to see some effect.
In terms of software, no special software, just the "good old excel" with TOS DDE. As part of my firedrill, I also export matrix data from OV in back trader mode. With that i get 30 min interval data of options pricing, greeks and IV skew.
Kevin,
How do you export matrix data from OV in back trader mode?
Jay
IB appear to have a nice facility for vol skew analysis. Here is one for SPX (March expiry) showing how volatility changes across strikes after bounce http://screencast.com/t/dNX8Ou97R5A
And this one illustrates selloff http://screencast.com/t/3r8NIP4bIcB