python gui programming

Marcas

Thanks for the link. I didn't know about this one.
This lib may be very handy for some purposes and I can see why Labdeck can look appealing to some. I also see some setbacks, even if only potential ones. I do not see enough to make me switch or even try Labdeck. That is not to say it is bad or anything.

I would like to hear why do you think that other ways are 'bad'. If GUI does the expected work and coder is comfortable with it...
Would like to see some working projects, trading related, done with Labdeck, from what I've seen I don't see much potential. (It still can be great platform for other purposes).

Rich

Both of you guys are going about this in the wrong way. Yes, you really should be using a GUI designer, I use https://labdeck.com/python/python-gui-designer/,Its free drag and drop, and can generate my components into python code. Another thing that I think we will all find interesting is that the software I use (https://labdeck.com/) has mathematical functions(it's called a finance package) that can be used for trading, cryptocurrency, and things like what you guys are talking about. The problem is that I'm a great coder but I'm not really a good trader. I could make a useful GUI for trading but whether or not it makes a profit would be unknown. What do you guys think?
Hi AaronP, I just saw your posting. Thanks for the heads up on labdeck. I will take a deeper look into labdeck to see how it hooks into the final application and frameworks needed for data, orders, etc. It talks about "MatDeck documents" but it is not clear from their website if the production code requires MatDeck framework as the runtime. I need to read more about it and try out the toolkits.

What GUI toolkits besides Tkinter does MatDeck support? Tkinter is often a non-starter except for the simple utilities and lobal pop-up dialog boxes and single-window interfaces; it seems not scalable for enterprise-quality applications. I have used PyQt Designer quite a bit for GUI layouts, and then modified the PyQt code using Spyder, PyCharm, or VSCode. The Qt application frameworks are nice because they support much more than just GUI design and code generation. PyQt Designer is a bit kludgy, because it does not offer real-time round-tripping ("design-to-code-to-design-to-production") between code and GUI layouts. If I were a good C++ programmer I would just use Qt Designer C++ because it does real-time interactive design and code generation. However, right now there is still a compilation step to generate the Python wrappers to convert the C++ APIs. Recently (Jan-Mar 2021) I see signs that people are working on improving the round-trip process for a GUI-first for native Python programmers.

After the GUI design is done with QtDesigner, there is still a lot of work to be done to hook the generated GUIs into the other pieces of the application infrastructure (databases and file stores, data feeds, order management, etc.) and algorithms.

Qt is a bit of a moving target (or fast moving train, now Qt v6 just released), with breaking "enhancements" and always with a shortage of full examples with documentation that work. Send me your contact information ( rich.lysakowski@gmail.com ) and we can get in touch regarding coding trading apps in Python. Thank you.